Monday, February 20, 2012

Competition

How do you feel about competition?  Ever notice that sometimes everything seems like a competition.  Some of my past topics have discussed comparing yourself to others and a younger you but something I tend to overlook is what effect does my competitiveness have on the people around me.  I don’t like to lose but then again who does?  I am talking more about the uninvited competition.  We all have that one acquaintance that is always one step ahead and makes damn sure you know about it.  Just like we all have that friend, I am sure at some point or another we are viewed as that person by others after all I wouldn’t think that people set out to torment a friend on a regular basis.  Often times the people we feel we are competing against don’t even realize their actions.

On this journey, I am talking about the person that just happens to be a size smaller than you and wants to hand down their fat clothes to you.  In some instances you might not give it much thought but in others it can completely torment you.  Imagine (or maybe you have experienced it too) handing a pair of jeans to a friend and saying: “here I bought these jeans but they are just WAY to big for me I thought maybe you could fit them” instantly I am offended.  So on the defense I try them on and can’t get them up let alone think about buttoning them.  Even though I am in the best shape I have ever been right now I feel like a beached whale and completely awful about myself.  Now imagine if you would have said, “I bought this pair of jeans that don’t fit would you like to try them?” You still have the same intentions but my self-esteem is still in tact whether they fit or not. 
Make sure you picture yourself on both ends of that scenario.  Does it make you feel better by knowing that you are that much smaller?  Or how about that the other person thinks of you as smaller but not really in a size aspect?  To me this whole thing is a self-esteem issue.  You feel great about your success and it makes it even better if you are more successful than anyone else.  Don’t try to deny it; it is the way of our society, ever heard of “keeping up with the Jones’? Who doesn’t want to be the Jones’?
But we have to remember you are the only one that can put a value on your self-esteem/self worth.  Meaning someone else does not set whether you are self worthy or not.  Only you decide that so the size difference only matters if you let it.  Obviously that is easier said than done.  On the flip side, consider how you are making others feel.  I am going to leave you with this question:

If you could climb Mt. Everest but could tell no one, would you still do it?
If you could wear a size 5 jeans but never mention it would you still be so worried about the number on the tag?

No comments:

Post a Comment